The Korean War Legacy Foundation is pleased to partner with the Ministry of Veterans and Patriots Affairs and the Social Studies Educators Network of Canada for our annual World Congress of Teachers, 2023. This event serves to recognize the sacrifice of our Korean War veterans and the importance of teaching about the War’s legacy in our schools.
Application Link »
Participants in the World Congress will actively engage in the activities and instructional materials that have been developed to teach about the Korean War while also attending historic events marking the anniversary of the armistice of the Korean War. This year’s event will celebrate the publication of a new curriculum book on Canada’s participation in the Korean War. Dignitaries from Canada and Korea will join teachers from Canada, the United States, and several other international UN Korean War participating countries to share ideas on how the Korean War can be taught in the classroom.
- Currently teach social studies for grades 6-12.
- Have a desire to learn and teach about the Korean War and its legacy.
- Currently teaches a course that could include instruction on the Korean War.
- Interested in continuing the work completed at the conference through a fellowship or special project.
- If accepted, teachers are required to type a transcript for one of our interviews, create a profile for THE 22, or write a lesson plan we can feature.
- $100 CAD Registration fee is required upon acceptance.
- Single occupancy hotel rooms will be provided from August 1st through August 4th. Rooms with two double beds can be requested, but not guaranteed. Check-in time is 4:00 pm and check-out is noon.
- Participants are expected to attend all meals and events. Guests are not permitted to attend any program-sponsored events/meals.
- All meals will be provided on August 2nd and 3rd. Meals will not be provided on August 1st & 4th.
In order to participate in the World Congress, you are required to complete one of three tasks. You may complete the task before or after the event; however, you will not receive your travel reimbursement until the task is completed.
- Type a transcript for a Korean War Veteran Interview
- Write a lesson plan on the Korean War
- Create a profile for THE 22
For Canadian Teachers
- Three nights of accommodations at the Hilton will be provided.
- Up to $600 CAD reimbursement for travel will be provided (flight or mileage)- receipts must be submitted prior to September 15th.
- You will receive payment for your transportation after you submit the Foundation Task
- All flights must be economy class and you are responsible for your own transportation from the airport to the hotel.
- If driving, you are responsible for airport parking.
For US and other International Teachers
- World Congress participation will be on an invitation only basis.
NOTE: Travel reimbursements will be issued upon approved submission of a The 22 Veteran Profile, lesson plan or veteran interview transcript. More information about this requirement will be sent to all accepted participants.
- Participants are expected to bring a laptop.
- Dress for all events is summer business casual for all teacher workshops. The gala is semi-formal (jacket/tie for men/ dress or suit for women).
|Tuesday, August 1st|
|Check in begins at 4:00pm|
|7:00pm||Optional Welcome Reception – location TBA|
|Wednesday, August 2nd|
|8:30am- 12:00pm||Teacher Workshops|
|1:00 pm- 3:30pm||Teacher Workshop|
|5:30pm-8:00pm||Welcome Gala Dinner|
|Thursday, August 3rd|
|8:30am- 12:00pm||Teacher workshops|
|1:00pm- 3:30pm||Teacher workshops|
|6:00pm- 7:00pm||Farewell Dinner|
|Friday, August 4th|
|Check out at your convenience by 12:00pm|
The Conference was made possible through the generous support of the Ministry of Patriots and Veterans Affairs of the Republic of Korea.