The Korean War Legacy Foundation is honored to host the 2021 World Congress of Teachers of the Korean War to commemorate the 71st anniversary of the war. The conference will be a special online event on Tuesday, July 27th from 9:00am- 2:00pm Eastern Daylight Time and will include 100 history and social science teachers from 22 countries. The sessions will include special commemoration ceremonies, including special remarks from an MPVA Representative, a historical lecture on the war and its significance, training on an oral history library of veteran interviews, case studies of materials on the Korean War, and presentations on the unique contributions of UN Nations.
Because of COVID-19 travel restrictions, US teachers will attend in-person and teachers from other coalition member nations will attend the conference online. US teachers should click here for a separate registration page.
Teachers from the following countries are eligible to attend the conference:
- Great Britain
- New Zealand
- South Africa
- United States (will attend in person)
- Conversational ability in English is required
- Currently teach History or social science for students ages 12-18
- Currently teach a course that could include instruction on the Korean War or plan to teach a course in the near future.
- Interested in continuing the work completed at the conference through a fellowship or special project.
Applications will be accepted until July 8th, 2021
Sessions Will Include
- Special Commemoration Ceremonies
- Historical lectures on the war and its significance
- Training on an oral history library of veteran interviews
- Korean War case study materials created in the US & other countries
- Presentations on the unique contributions of UN Nations
Program Book (PDF) »
The 22: Korean War International Legacy is a global community of Korean War veterans, their family members, scholars, historians, and educators intent on honoring veterans from the 22 countries that served in the Forgotten War. As heirs of their legacy, our goal is to preserve and share their stories, educate the public about the War, and come together as a community of peace and healing.
We are looking for veteran profiles from all 22 Korean War participating countries. Please share THE 22 with veterans and their families in your country! As a special incentive, we will refund your $25 registration fee if you recruit one Korean War veteran or veteran’s family member to create a profile that honors the selected veteran. To be eligible you must:
- Recruit one veteran or veteran’s family member to create a profile.
- Profiles must be completed by July 25th.
- Profiles should include detailed information and if possible photographs.
About the Conference Host
The Korean War Legacy Foundation (KWLF) is a USA based, registered non-profit that focuses on assisting teachers, students, and the general public in understanding the origins and outcomes of the Korean War, the challenges that soldiers faced while fighting it, and its rich legacy promoting democracy and freedom in the world today, which is exemplified by South Korea’s simultaneous achievement of rapid economic development and substantive democratization in late 20th century. The KWLF is proud to announce that it has completed oral histories of 22 Korean War participating countries which are available on the foundation’s website, www.koreanwarlegacy.org.
This conference is made possible through the generous sponsorship of the Ministry of Patriots and Veterans Affairs of the Republic of Korea.
If you have any questions, please contact: Bobbie Downs at email@example.com.